Saturday, August 22, 2015

DETROIT URGES GUN OWNERSHIP

In a city plagued by chronic unemployment and crime while protected by a dwindling police force, residents of Detroit are increasingly taking protection of themselves, their families and property into their own hands. Those who do so responsibly have the blessing and backing of Detroit Police Chief James Craig.  

Since his 2013 plea, thousands of guns have been purchased and hundred of concealed-carry permits have been issued.  Home invasions and other crimes have gone down. 

I had occasion to call for law enforcement a couple of years ago.  I had a suspicious car parked in my driveway and the occupant appeared to me to be carrying a handgun; I let the dispatcher know that when I made the call.  Sixteen minutes later, the first unit arrived.  Now, I have to say that three units responded and the officers proceeded to surround the car, guns drawn, and to demand that the driver get out.  He was high on drugs and, thankfully, what appeared to me to be a gun proved to be a cellphone.  

The point here is that, had the intruder been carrying a gun and had he had evil intent... well, 16 minutes is a damned long time.  He could have shot me dead and been 15 miles down the road in that amount of time.  What he didn't know is that I was armed and fully prepared to protect myself.  

Do you have any idea how long it takes for an aggressor to fire off five or six rounds?  Unless you are prepared and have practiced, that sequence can happen before you can get your gun out of the holster, let alone call the cops and wait 16 minutes for them to show up.  

Detroit has the right idea.  Americans need to arm themselves, get trained, get a concealed carry permit and carry a sidearm wherever they go.  Hopefully, they will never have to use their guns, but without them, they are sitting ducks... a crime waiting to happen.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted.       

No comments: