Tuesday, June 17, 2014

SUPREME COURT GUN RULING SOUNDS GOOD, BUT IS NOT

SPECIAL POST

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor yesterday by a 5-4 vote of Ohio's ban on being able to purchase a gun for someone else, even if they are legally entitled to own a gun.  

On the surface, it sounds good; my initial reaction was that it would further close the ability of those with mental issues to buy guns.  But, here's the problem:  I want to buy my dad a hunting rifle, one he's always cherished, as a Christmas gift.  Or, I bought this pistol last year and after using it, I've decided it's too heavy for me and I want to give it to my son.  

Now, I suppose I could take the gun to a gun dealer and have him fill out paperwork for the transfer from me to my dad or son, but that is not made clear.  In California, they are trying to prevent me from doing that.  In other words, they are trying to force me to take my guns to the grave with me.  

I'm inclined to think the law was not well-thought-out and that the decision, therefore, is flawed.  But, I agree with the principle.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted. 

No comments: