Thursday, April 18, 2013

HOW MUCH FREEDOM DO YOU WANT TO GIVE UP?



SPECIAL POST

Not only do we have constant threats to our country from the Middle East and North Korea, but we are now obviously faced again with the threat of terrorist activities on our homeland, whether they be domestic or foreign.  The government talking heads are quick to suggest that we are going to have to improve our security procedures in America and to be prepared to give up some of our freedoms. 

Why? 

Why do we need to become prisoners in our own country?  We do we need to give up our rights in exchange for security?  Where I come from is where my ancestors in this country came from; my freedoms and liberties are so dear to me that I am willing to fight to preserve them for myself and my posterity.  This American is not going to roll over and play dead for anyone. 

There are other ways to deal with this.  It starts with being more selective on whom we let into this country and under what circumstances they can come.  What’s wrong with taking a good, thorough look at entrants who are not already citizens?  It continues by exercising the right to expel non-Americans for anti-American activities and for providing an avenue to strip a person of his citizenship for un-American activities.  We need to bring the teachings of history and civics back into the classroom and, I think we need to require two years of service to our country in the military or peace corps in order to instill American patriotism. 

We also need to educate ourselves in how terrorists do their work so that we can be constantly on a citizen’s alert, keeping our eyes and ears open for signs of trouble.  The very last thing we need to do is to strip Americans of their rights to bear arms. 

I do not want to give up any freedom and I’ll be damned if I will willingly do so.  That’s not what being an American means to me. 

That’s MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted.  

No comments: