Saturday, May 30, 2015

FREE SPEECH: THE OBLIGATONS

You can't call a Black a Nigger?  You can't call an Italian a WOP?  You can't call an illegal Mexican a Wetback? 

I beg your pardon.  This is America and I have the freedom here to say what I want.  And that, my friend is a fact. 

Well, you say, calling a Black is Nigger is inflammatory.  On and on, and I agree with those sentiments.  But, burning the American Flag is also inflammatory, just as is raising a ruckus at a military funeral. 

When the Bill of Right was written, I feel that the framers of the Constitution expected that the populace would have a certain amount of common sense and self-dignity.  I don't know that they expected how degraded the fundamental fabric of our society would eventually become. 

So, is it right that a fragment of our society would deliberately go out and get in the Muslim face in Phoenix or anywhere else with an anti-Muslim message?  Right next to a Mosque?  After a previous such event in Texas turned deadly? 

I think we can all agree that these are dumb moves, just like yelling "Fire" in a crowded Chicago theater when there was no fire. 

In my opinion, the right to free speech comes with an obligation, the obligation being not to use that right for incendiary purposes.  From a realistic standpoint, if you cross the lines of propriety frequently enough, isn't a just society justified in creating laws and regulations against it?  

So, the people in Phoenix have crossed that line in my opinion.   Are we willing to sacrifice the right to free speech over that transgression?  No.  We have the obligation to speak out against it and to chastise such a distasteful act. 

But, I will defend till my dying day the right to do it.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted. 

No comments: