Monday, July 28, 2014

NFL HAS NO BUSINESS SUSPENDING RICE

SPECIAL POST

I take issue with the right or the responsibility of the NFL, or any employer for that matter, to discipline an employee for criminal or civil infractions of the law that occur outside of the scope of employment.  Now, don't get me wrong: If the activity involves the physical ability of the employee to safely perform his employment duties, then I don't have an issue with it.  Hence, I don't have a problem with punishment for illegal drug use, legal drug abuse, steroids, etc.  

The realm for prosecution for wrongs against humanity is the criminal justice system, just as the realm for perceived wrongs between individuals is in a civil proceeding.  When you allow or require an employer to also administer some judgment and to take action accordingly, that is not only double-jeopardy but it is also an interference in the employer-employee relationship and, I believe, a violation of the right to privacy.  

Hence, when Ray Rice beat on his girlfriend, the NFL should have kept its nose totally out of it.  Now, if the criminal judge sentences him to a month in jail and he misses playing four games because of it, then he can be and should be punished for failure to perform his duties or his end of the contract. 

But, I'll be damned if I want my boss suspending ME for a week because I'm fat, I had an affair with a married woman or I got a parking ticket... and those absurdities are where this country is heading  if we allow this liberal encroachment on fundamental rights in this country to continue unchecked, unfettered.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted. 

No comments: