Wednesday, April 30, 2014

RACISM, BUNDY, STERLING AND FREE SPEECH

SPECIAL POST

We have recently been presented with two individuals who are accused of racism... Cliven Bundy and Donald Sterling.  At the outset, let me say that I support Cliven Bundy because his remarks were taken out of context and I no not believe they were intended to be racist; far from it, I take from their full context that Bundy is supportive of all races. 

Now we get to Sterling.  Based on what I know at this moment, I have to say that HIS remarks were racist and disgusting.  I do not condone them in any way whatsoever, EXCEPT...

As offensive as the remarks were, he has the right to say them.  This is a country of free speech; the instant we cross the line to censor anybody over any remarks, no matter how vile they might be, we have abrogated the right to free speech.  Our nation went justifiably ballistic over Sterling's remarks; from what I hear, people are staying away from his games in droves and that is swell by me.  

It is unclear what the NBA based its $2.5 million fine and disbarment on.  If it was based on conduct unbecoming a member of the NBA, I could hang my hat on that.  But, if it was based on what Sterling said, I object strongly on the basis of his Constitutional right to free speech.  

Keep this in mind: if you allow this to pass, this infringement of Sterling's right to free speech, you open the door to gun confiscation and the trashing of the whole gamut of the Bill of Rights.  As tough as it may be sometimes for us to adhere to the principles of the Constitution, we simply have to;Ttat's why it's there and it has been proven to be 100% correct through thick and thin since 1789. 

Illegitimi non carborundum.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted. 

No comments: