Monday, June 24, 2013

ON THIS SNOWDEN THING

SPECIAL POST

I was in the military and held a Top Secret Clearance.  I hold a lot of respect for the need for national security and for the old World War slogan, "Loose Lips sink ships." 

But, I also believe that a tremendous amount of bad things can be done under the guise of "national security."  I believe as well that the general public has every right, generally, to know what the parameters are as well as what methods "might" be employed.  You can inform the public of these things without breaching intimate details of your security apparatus.  

We need to expect that, when any government agency starts to run amok, someone will come forth and let us know.  In regards to Snowden, I've heard it said that he should have gone to his Congressman, but what makes you think the Congressman is going to pick up the ball and run with it?

Has Snowden really done this country any harm?  Not yet, that I am aware of.  Did we have a right and a need to know the things that Snowden has thus far alleged?  I think so.  Does he need to be apprehended and put on trial?  I think that needs to happen, as long it is not a railroad job or a kangaroo court.  Am I angry at him for doing what he did?  No; I am thankful that he came out because, unchecked, we all know that this massive invasion into our private lives would only continue to get worse, and worse, and worse.  

Finally, if we allow them to switch the focus of wrongdoing from themselves onto Snowden we do ourselves a horrendous disfavor. because we shall surely discourage anyone else in the future from  being a Paul Revere.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted. 

No comments: