Sunday, December 21, 2008

MADAME GREGOIRE SHOULD GET A LOAD OF THIS


This week's post has been delayed due to travel woes. And, I was going to put it off until tomorrow, while I tried to put together an upbeat bit to finish off the year with.

Many things bounced through my head as I was slushing through the wind and the snow... Any one of them would have made good material for this day. But, my mind keeps coming back to one conversation overheard in Evanston, Wyoming. It went something like this:

The cashier said, "And, have Happy Holidays, sir!"

"Happy Holidays?" the bitter voice shot back. "You know, I've had it with all of you nice 'Happy Holidays' people. Both my wife and I have been out of work for over two months. We have mountains of debt and everyone's getting rich off the government except us. They're back there passing around billions... Trillions of dollars like sacks of candy and all they're doing is making it worse for us poor bastards because we're the ones who are going to have to pay for it.

"In the middle of all this, you've got the idiots telling us we can't say Merry Christmas. Well, you know what? For a whole lot of us in this damned country, God and Christ are all we have left, and if you and your damned company that owns this place want to take that away from us, what are we going to have left? Just our guns, I guess.... And, that's when things are going to get downright ugly in this country.

"As for you, if you don't have enough guts and religion in ya to say 'Merry Chrisymas,' why don't you just do everyone a favor and keep your damned mouth shut?"

"I'll say 'Merry Christmas' to that!" a trucker piped in.

"Me, too!" a clerk in the back of the store shouted.

"Count me in! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!" someone else standing in line repeated.

"You know what, guys?" the cashier smiled. "Every one of you is soooo right on. Merry Christmas to all of you and I don't care if they do fire me."

And, so it was on that snowy day in a town called Evanston, I do believe that Christ was reborn. Shout the news to the world, my friends. Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas.


That's MY AMERICAN OPINION respectfully submitted.

No comments: