Monday, February 08, 2016

LATEST DEBATES WERE REVEALING

SPECIAL POST

I was too busy Sunday, digesting what had happened at the Republican debates on Saturday, to watch the Super Bowl.  

I thought that, for the first time, Trump appeared almost "presidential."  He still couldn't resist coming out with a few nasty jabs, but they were few and far between, and in between he came off as being the commander-in-chief that we need.  

Now, to be fair about it, I thought Bush came off extremely well, also.  But, I think his addition of his mom and brother to his campaign took some of the shine off of that appearance; it's almost like the schoolyard tad who gets into a brawl with someone and runs home to plead with mommy and daddy to come to his rescue.  I'm sorry; I didn't think all that much of him going into the weekend and I thought less of him coming out of it, but I'll nevertheless score him high marks on the debate.  

The debates started with a not-so-fancy do-see-do just off-stage, where the candidates and the moderators lost communication with each other and a mix-up occurred as they eventually appeared on stage.  All of the sudden, the moderators looked up from their scripts and realized that only half of the contestants had made it to their podiums.  It was good for laughs, however.  

Cruz and Rubio made total fools of themselves, constantly using their allotted times to avoid answering the questions.  Rubio took the brunt of it, launching into the same, canned , rehearsed talking points... word for word... three times when Christie and the moderators put his feet to the fire. Frankly, they both came off as being nothing better than "the establishment," with their spins and maneuvers.  

Both Christie and Carson did fairly well, I think, at least holding their own or even doing a bit better than that.  Kasich, try as he might, is almost an afterthought; he's still much too busy reiterating what he did in Ohio

In terms of the debate, I'd rate Trump first, Bush second, with Carson and Christie tied for third.   

In closing, I will have to say that I thought ABC did a much more professional job of hosting the debates than anyone else so far.  Unlike FOX and MSNBC, they did not appear to me to be wearing  any of their own political agendas on their sleeves.  

That's MY AMERICAN OPINION, respectfully submitted.  


   

No comments: